Major Street Closures
Please be advised of the following event that will impact Downtown Los Angeles:
- On Monday May 1, 2017 there will be three major May Day marches in addition to several other rallies that are scheduled in the Los Angeles area.
- Between 500,000 to 750,000 marchers a expected to participant and possibly even more due to the Federal Administration’s stance on several political issues along with the 25th anniversary of the 1992 Los Angeles Riots (April 29, 1992). There is a possibility that the number could reach 1,000,000. Traffic and political analysts are predicting a massive and record turnout for these marches and rallies
- Street closures will begin as early as 6 am and last until ~ 7 pm.
- Expect traffic to be jammed on all City streets along the march routes as well as on all freeways leading into and out of Downtown Los Angeles.
- Both the LAPD and the CHP will be out in force to ensure a safe event and that the participants stay on the march route and do not venture off into the freeways or disrupting the local businesses.
- Metro will continue work on the Regional Connector but will cease operations should it become necessary.
- Check you local public transportation entities for any route detours and/or cancellations.
- Both the Olive Street and Westlawn Garages will remain open for their normal business hours, however, alternative routes may have to be taken to access the garages. Please plan your travel time accordingly and allow yourself plenty of time to reach your destinations.
- Please see the attached LADOT maps.
Real time street traffic for DTLA may be found at http://trafficinfo.lacity.org/index.php.Real time freeway traffic may be found at https://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?lat=34.06771&lon=-118.29351&z=1MARCH ROUTESMAY DAY MARCH FROM MACARTHUR PARK TO CITY HALL
- Assembly area is MacArthur Park at 10 am.
- March begins at 12 pm and proceeds WB on Whilshire Blvd to Grand Ave, then NB on Grand to 6th St., EB on 6th to Hill St, then NB on Hill to the Grand Park between 1st and Temple Streets for a rally.
- The rally is supposed to end at 3;30 pm but will most likely end at 7 pm when it is combined with the other march.MAY DAY MARCH FROM OLYMPIC/BROADWAY TO CITY HALL
- Assembly area is Olympic/Broadway at 8 am.
- March begins at 11 am and proceeds NB on Broadway to City Hall where a rally will be held at City Hall/Grand Park.
- The rally is expected to end at 5 pm.MAY DAY MARCH FROM EVERGREEN AVENUE TO MARIACHI PLAZA AND POSSIBLY CITY HALL
- Assembly area is Evergreen Ave adjacent to Evergreen Cemetary at 2:30 pm.
- March begins at 3:30 pm and proceeds WB on Cesar Chavez Ave, SB on Chicago St, and then WB on 1st St to Mariachi Plaza at Boyle Ave.for a rally that is expected to end at 5:30 pm.
- In the past, these participants have also continued WB on 1st St to City Hall.
Have patience and drive defensively.